The Italian Cultural Center “Marco Polo” offers Italian classes to children ages 3 to 15 in 1834 E Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia, c/o History of Italian Immigration Museum. The school started in 2000 and is completely run by women. Classes meet two hours a week and cover Italian language and grammar, as well as Geography, Music, History, and Visual Arts, We also organize several events for our families to enhance the understanding and knowledge of Italian language, culture and tradition.
So far we have been guests at the Kendrick Recreation Center, a City of Philadelphia community building. Since 2000 we have been delivering classes only on Saturdays from October to May. However, the classroom is not in good shape to host all students, especially our young kids (2-3 yr old). Also, we are not in condition to fully enhance our possibilities in this venue and we have to keep our class materials in different places. Our teachers are engaged, dedicated, and enthusiast, so that our kids really find a good reason to practice Italian as second language. We are striving to create a community in which every learner is accepted and has an active role. Our parents always join our extra-curricular activities and are engaged in our small community.
Thank you in advance for your generosity. Please feel free to contact us with any questions via email at email@example.com.
What We Need & What You Get
With this campaign we request your consideration for a $150,000 fundraising to contribute for our new school building.The money will be an integral part of the school finances and used exclusively to finance the purchase of a new building.
In order to start this new project, we will need to reach everyone interested in supporting our vision.
Our building will be located in South Philadelphia, or nearby area. The facility should have at least one functioning bathroom, a kitchen, and three to five rooms to be used as classrooms.
If we don’t reach our entire goal, we will deposit this amount in a restricted fund to be used for a down payment, and the rest will be financed through a bank loan.
The Scuola Marco Polo’s goal is to educate students and families on the importance of bilingual education.
Scuola Marco Polo believes that Italian language, traditions, music and culture are essential tools to create a unified community. We are happy to celebrate Italian and American feasts with families of diverse background and culture.
Bilingual education provides cognitive advantages:
– Developing a very active and flexible brain
– Developing more flexible approaches because of the ability to switch between languages
– Developing ability to ignore irrelevant information
– Focusing, remembering, and making decisions
and social-emotional advantages:
– Maintain strong ties with their entire family, culture, and community: social identity
– Make new friends and create strong relationships in their second language: social diversity
– Children show better self-control
Other scientifically proven benefits of bilingualism are:
– Bilingualism may delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease
– Bilingual adults have more job opportunities around the world than monolingual adults
– Bilingual employees earn an average of $7,000 more per year than their monolingual peers
– Bilingual citizens are active members of the global community, due to their multi-language knowledge
– Bilingualism frees people from biases and limited thinking